A Year Off

Monday, September 26, 2005

The first week

That’s me been in Texas for a week and y’all should know that am really enjoying it. Arriving to temperatures of 38˚C (100˚F) with a hurricane on the way was a bit of a shock, but the Rita past to the east and did not rain on us – as much as the land could do with it. The clouds did make for nice sunset photos.

I’ve been taking it easy, I’m sitting on the back porch, which is nice and shady but still in the 80s, might have to move back into the AC soon. Sheila and David are at work, so it is just me and the dogs… and my laptop – the wireless network reaches out here!

Sheila and David’s cabin is out in the country situated in 7 acres of land. The top part has the cabin and a lovely stand of mixed woodland, further down there is a huge area of pasture which reaches down to the river. There’s lots of wildlife around, hummingbirds feed at a special feeder, the dogs chase the squirrels, there are lots of butterflies which don’t stay still long enough for me to take a photo, just saw a couple of birds of prey… must look out my binoculars.

Went with Sheila to school last week, very interesting, I’ve learned a lot about sensory integration (SI). Have been doing some typing for her, she’s camp director for a SI camp this weekend.

Helped David finish his fence yesterday, with the odd break to take photos of interesting bugs.

In the afternoon we watched the TV coverage of the Dallas Cowboys losing all the way through the game only to make a last minute comeback and beat the San Francisco 49ers, 34-31. I must admit that it was all a bit foreign to me, I could hardly keep up with what was going on – thought that it looked a right rammy. Still at least Morton won at the weekend. I have an RSS feed so that I can keep up with the results.

I’m still trying to get my ear round the local accent – who said that we all speak English! It’s not only the accent but also the words people use, listening to the traffic reports I heard that a disabled vehicle was blocking the road, so I thought that it was some sort of special needs bus, until I heard about another one and thought that they don’t maintain their buses that well, until it dawned on me that she meant that a vehicle had broken down and was disabled…

Well, better get the housework that Sheila’s left me done before she gets back – a hard taskmaster :-)

2 Comments:

  • Sounds like you're having a good time over there! It's really nice hearing some more words to go along with the beautiful photos. Keep 'em coming!

    By Blogger andy, at 3:33 pm BST  

  • interesting!

    By Blogger Newsandseduction, at 4:11 am BST  

Post a Comment

<< Home